Future Committee Membership may be arrived at through the consensus of the committee and shall ask the USJF President for formal appointment.
Sensei Nishioka believes deeply in the benefits of judo to make better people, better citizens, as its founder, Jigoro Kano proposed. Through his 61 years in judo, as a champion, teacher, writer, referee and leader in the organization, Sensei Nishioka’s focus has been on practices to support the growth of judo.
What is the Hayward Nishioka Scholarship?
The Hayward Nishioka College to Career Scholarship was established in 2016 by Nancy Washburn to honor Sensei Nishioka’s desire for encouraging judoka college students to promote judo in the future in their chosen career. Sensei Nishioka sees the value in supporting judoka going into the fields of Kinesiology, Recreation, Physical Education, Media/Media arts, Film/Television, and Journalism. Professionals in these fields have unique opportunities to bring knowledge and appreciation of judo into their careers and fields of influence. In our age of instant information it is important to create opportunities by our judoka who have benefited by their practice of judo, to promote these benefits in the larger world, not in the dojo alone.
Who is eligible?
- Judoka who are currently a junior or above in college with a major in the fields of Kinesiology, Physical Education, Recreation, Media/Media Arts, Film/Television and Journalism.
- 18 years or older.
- Actively practicing judo for the last two years and a registered member of USJF.
- Person who has a commitment to using their future career to promote judo.
- Dedication to Judo shown by regular practice.
- Positive ideas of how they will promote judo in their career.
- Good moral character and social conduct.
- The committee will review the applications based on the criteria for selection.
- Candidates will make themselves available for any questions.
- Candidates will be notified regarding the outcome of their applications within 30 days of the close of the application period.
The judoka must complete and submit the following:
- Completed typed application form must be submitted on or before 30 June
- Resume of judo practice and participation, including rank
- Typed essay
- describing how the money will be used and;
- how, in detail, the candidate will promote judo in their chosen career.