This program originated with Mitchell Palacio with the intention of promoting dojos with the highest levels of involvement in judo education through their staff and public events. Julia Tsutsui has designed the banners.
- USJF Teacher or Assistant Teacher certification
- USJF National Coach, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Master or Elite National Coach certification
- Referee certification at local, regional, national or international level
- Kata certification A, B or C in nage no kata, katame no kata, ju no kata, kime no kata, goshin jutsu, itsutsu no kata or koshiki no kata
- Special activities including clinics (technique, referee/rules, self-defense, teachers, coaching, kata, etc.), judo camps or tournaments
Each area requires a minimum of one club member in each category: Teacher, Coach, Referee, Kata and a minimum of one special activity. All certifications must be USJF with the exception of referee certification. Judo Dojo/Clubs meeting the 5 Star Dojo criteria will receive a banner recognizing them as a USJF 5 Star Dojo. Clubs meeting 4 of the 5 criteria have the opportunity to receive a 4 Star Dojo certificate.
Recognized star dojos
|Stars awarded||Dojo||Head Instructor||Yudanshakai|
|☆☆☆☆☆||San Jose Buddhist Judo Club||Vaughn Imada||Central Coast|
|☆☆☆☆☆||Fresno Judo Club||San Joaquin||Larry Tsutsui|