April 2004 Development Committee Agenda and Minutes


USJF Development Committee
Meeting Agenda and Minutes
Monday, 26 April 2004
San Diego, CA

  1. Call to Order

    The meeting was called to order by David Matsumoto at
    7:10 pm. In attendance were the following:

    Committee Members: Eiko Shepherd, Ann Maria Rousey,
    Dean Markovics, Bryan Matsuoka, and Joon Chi. A quorum
    was present to conduct business.

    Observers: Haruo Makimoto, John Morrison, Jeff Takeda,
    Hector Vega, Hayward Nishioka, Ed Hanashiro, Felix
    Lanier, Raymond Saito, and Taryn (Ann Arbor Convention
    and Visitoris Bureau)

  2. Approval of the Minutes of the Last Meeting

    MSP to approve the minutes of the last meeting.

    At this point the chair recommended that, because
    some committee members were leaving, and to be courteous
    to yudanshakai representatives who have come to the
    meeting to answer questions about their proposals,
    we jump to V. New Business and hear descriptions of
    proposals and ask questions about them.

  3. Reports
    1. Chair
      1. Mitsuboshi Agreeement Finalization
      2. USJF Jr. National Judogi Distribution Criteria
      3. Yudanshakai Outreach attempts
    2. Co-Chair
      1. Monthly reports for USJF Newsletter from subcommittees
      2. Monthly reports for USJF Newsletter from funded yudanshakais
      3. Reports of funded activities (necessary for future funding)
        1. All subcommittees and yudanshakais are reminded that no funding will be approved if their two reports as specified by the budgeting procedures for previous activities are delinquent.
    3. Subcommittee reports and progress on duties and

      1. Jr. Development (Mitsuoka).
      2. Sr. Development (Rousey).
      3. Teacher’s Institute (Matsuoka).
      4. Technical Research (Matsumoto).
        1. Literature Review
        2. Current Study
      5. Referee Development and Certification
      6. Kata Development and Certification (Shepherd).
      7. Women (Mackey)
      8. Coach Development and Certification (Markovics)
    4. Approval of all reports. It was MSP to
      approve all reports. All subcommittee
      chairs are reminded to submit minutes
      of their meetings to be appended to this
  4. Unfinished Business
    1. Review of Subcommittee Duties and Responsibilities Document (originally distributed 2001). Drafts of guidelines for YDKs from each subcommittee to development proposals and content for development in each area by 1 January 2004.
    2. Review of YDK reports on effectiveness of grant program. All subcommittee chairs are asked to review the reports and forward to DM any comments or other data they wish to obtain from the YDKs.
    3. Follow up to board actions from April 2002.
      1. Procedures and guidelines for grandfathering coaches. To be reported after this meeting.
      2. Procedures and guidelines for grandfathering teachers. To be reported after this meeting.
    4. Follow up conflict of interest memo and submission of lists and procedures by April 2004 meeting
    5. 2004 USJF Judo Conference discussion update
    6. 2003-2004 Budget
      1. 50th State Request
  5. New Business
    1. 2007 USJF JR Nationals Bid
      1. We heard presentations from Taryn, representative of the Ann Arbor Convention and Visitors Bureau, and for Felix Lanier, representative of Chicago, for their bids for the 2007 USJF Jr. Nationals. It was MSP to recommend the bid be awarded to Konan.
    2. 2004-2005 Budget
      1. Subcommittee Requests.
        1. The committee heard descriptions of proposals from the subcommittee chairs, and asked various questions about them.
      2. Yudanshakai Requests
        1. The committee heard descriptions
          of proposals from Nanka, Konan,
          50th, Daiheigen, and Shufu, and
          asked various questions about
  6. Because we still had the rest of the agenda to go through, it was MSP to meet on Friday evening after finals.

    Meeting was called to order Saturday morning, 1 May 2004, 8:00 am. IN attendance were Ann Marie Rousey, Vaughn Imada, Dean Markovics, Bryan Matsuoka, Eiko Shepherd, Frances Glaze, and David Matsumoto.

    A new proposal was circulated at this meeting (see attached). Discussion is now called on the proposal via email, with the anticipation of an electronic vote to approve in the near future. Some discussion ensued.

  7. Adjournment

    The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 am.