USJF Development Committee
Meeting Agenda and Minutes
Wednesday 8 October 2003
Las Vegas, NV
- Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 7:15 pm by David Matsumoto (DM). In attendance were the following individuals:
Members: David Matsumoto, Vaughn Imada, Dean Markovics, Bryan Matsuoka, Eiko Shepherd, Chris Mitsuoka, Karen Mackey
Observers: Louise Mackey, Frances Glaze, Barbara Shimizu, Frank Morales, Tyrone Taketa, Mitchell Palacio, Julie Koyama,
Phyllis Imada, Tom Sheehan, Hayward Nishioka, Robert Fukuda
- Approval of the Minutes of the Last Meeting
It was MSP to approve the minutes of the July meeting as passed.
- DC newsletter is coming out shortly.
- Monthly reports for USJF Newsletter from subcommittees
- Monthly reports for USJF Newsletter from funded yudanshakais
- Reports of funded activities (necessary for future funding)
- All subcommittees and yudanshakais are reminded that no funding will be approved if their two reports as
specified by the budgeting procedures for previous activities are delinquent.
- Subcommittee reports and progress on duties and responsibilities
- Jr. Development (Mitsuoka). Reported on the judo gi awards for the junior nationals. Also put out RFP for special
development projects for sponsoring new judo clubs that are affiliated with other organizations, especially schools.
RFP is on the website.
- Sr. Development (Takemori).
- Teacher’s Institute (Matsuoka). Have distributed information on the TIS curriculum to Konan, Florida, Nanka, and
50th State to develop yudanshakai level clinics of the curriculum.
- Technical Research (Matsumoto). Contracted a literature review on the benefits of doing judo.
- Referee Development and Certification (Chi).
- Kata Development and Certification (Shepherd/Glaze). Described the development of clinic application forms and
procedures. NEED TO SUBMIT TO DC FOR FINAL APPROVAL.
- Women (Mackey). Reported on the first meeting of the committee. Discussed the development of three potential lines of
- Coach Development and Certification (Markovics). Since last meeting established committee members. Working on curriculum
development and grandfathering procedures.
- Approval of all reports. It was MSP to approve
all reports. All subcommittee chairs
are reminded to submit minutes of their meetings
to be appended to this report.
- Unfinished Business
- Review of Subcommittee Duties and Responsibilities Document (originally distributed 2001).
Drafts of guidelines for YDKs from each subcommittee to development proposals and content for
development in each area by 1 January 2004.
- Review of YDK reports on effectiveness of grant program. All subcommittee chairs are asked
to review the reports and forward to DM any comments or other data they wish to obtain from the YDKs.
- Follow up to board actions from April 2002
- Procedures and guidelines for grandfathering coaches. To be reported after this meeting.
- Procedures and guidelines for grandfathering teachers. To be reported after this meeting.
- Follow up conflict of interest memo and submission of lists and procedures by April 2004 meeting
- 2004 USJF Judo Conference discussion
- Discussion occurred to review the 2003 USJF Judo Conference. It was MSP to pursue negotiation
to have the referee clinic at the tournament headquarters Thursday and Friday before the tournament,
and kata, teachers, athletes Monday through Wednesday after the tournament.
- F. 2003-2004 budget – YDK Grants
- 50th State
It was MSP to allocate $7,000 to Konan and $2,730.50 to Intermountain. Konan will submit a new plan for the use
of the $7,000 as it is less than what was requested.
- New Business
The meeting was adjourned at 9:10 pm.